These rice krispie treats with mini M&Ms are no ordinary rice krispie treats. This recipe results in incredibly chewy, buttery, cookie-flavored rice krispie treats laden with crunchy, chocolaty mini M&Ms.
These bars have a whole stick of butter, two full bags of marshmallows, and a cup of delicious cookie butter to give them so much flavor and keep them super gooey. No one wants a dry rice krispie treat.
This no-bake recipe is perfect for any occasion and is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
- Cookie butter: Cookie butter makes anything better. I like to use Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter, but you can also use Biscoff Cookie Butter. Walmart even has a store brand version.
- Butter: I used salted butter, as usual.
- Marshmallows: You’ll want to make sure to use mini marshmallows for this recipe. Large marshmallows won’t melt as easily.
- Rice krispie cereal: Any brand of crisp rice cereal will do. I typically use store-brand because it’s cheaper.
- Mini M&Ms: I just love mini M&Ms. The ratio of chocolate to candy coating is superior, in my opinion. There are a few different bag size options of these. The baking size is 10 oz (you’ll find this one by the chocolate chips at the grocery store), the “sharing” size is 9.4 oz, and the “family” size is 16.9 oz. I recommend using two of the smaller size bags for this recipe, but you can really do either.
How to Make Rice Krispie Treats with M&Ms
- Melt the butter and cookie butter. The only cooking involved in this recipe is simply melting the butter and cookie butter together in a pot on medium heat.
- Add the marshmallows. Once the butter and cookie butter are melted, take the mixture off of the heat and let it cool for one or two minutes. Now, you’ll add in one of the bags of marshmallows at a time. Let the first bag melt completely before moving on to the next step.
- Stir in the cereal. Once the first bag of marshmallows has melted, add in the second bag as well as the cereal. Mix well and mix quickly.
- Mix in the mini M&Ms. Sprinkle half of the mini M&Ms over the rice krispie mixture and quickly stir them in. Don’t over mix as the M&Ms will melt quickly and just blend in with the mixture.
- Transfer to a pan and let chill. Press the mixture into a parchment lined 9″x13″ pan. Sprinkle the remaining M&Ms over top and gently press in. Let chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours before cutting and serving.
Notes & Tips
Try sticking your mini M&Ms in the freezer for several hours before you are ready to make your rice krispie treats. This will help them to not melt as quickly once added to the warm cereal mixture.
Substitutions and Additions
- For a cookie butter substitute, try replacing with peanut butter. Use regular creamy peanut butter, not natural peanut butter.
- Feel free to substitute the mini M&Ms for regular M&Ms if you prefer.
- To add even more crunch, add crushed Biscoff cookie pieces to the mixture (substitute 1-2 cups of rice krispie cereal for cookie crumbles).
- I would not recommend using regular-size marshmallows as they likely won’t melt as quickly.
These bars will keep for four to five days unrefrigerated. While you don’t need to, I do enjoy my M&M rice krispie treats chilled, so consider giving it a try!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Rice Krispie Treats with M&Ms
- 8 tbsp salted butter
- 1 cup cookie butter
- 20 oz mini marshmallows (two bags)
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 18-20 oz mini M&Ms see note
- Place your bags of mini M&Ms in the freezer while you work on the base for your bars. This will help them to not melt so quickly once added to the warm cereal mixture.
- Line a 9"x13" pan with parchment paper.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and cookie butter over medium heat until smooth and completely melted.
- Take off of the burner and let cool for 1-2 minutes. Add one bag of the marshmallows and stir constantly until completely dissolved.
- Add the second bag of marshmallows and the cereal. Mix quickly and mix well.
- Add half of the M&Ms to the mixture and fold in until just combined. Do not over mix as the M&Ms will quickly soften and melt.
- Transfer the mixture to the lined pan and flatten with a firm spatula or greased fingers. I also find it helpful to use a small scrap of parchment paper to press the mixture down without it sticking to my fingers.
- Pour the rest of the M&Ms over top and gently press down to set them into the mixture.
- Let the bars cool for at least 2 hours before cutting and serving. When ready, cut into 12 squares.
Did you try this recipe? Give it a rating below and tag Table Nutrition in your photos on social media!